Thursday, April 16, 2009

Running Into the Sunrise

So for the last 4-5 months, I've been running on the treadmills in our apartment complex fitness room for my Tuesday and Thursday morning runs because it has been too dark to run outside by myself. I've never really like treadmills, but it wasn't too bad as long as the treadmills weren't both being used and I had some music to listen to. Last week though, it finally got light enough at 6:00 that I could run outside. I didn't realize how much I had missed it. This morning I started out running east and got to see a beautiful pink sunrise. (Those are actually pretty rare here in cloudy Oregon!) I was really struck with the beauty of the earth and how much I have to be grateful for. Here are just a few of the things I love about running in the morning before the whole city comes alive:

*1,000 birds chirping in the little nature reserve across the street from our apartment
*the smell of blossoms as I run under trees laden with pink and white popcorn
*purple mist hanging over the fields
*tulips and daffodils - the happiest flowers because they're the first ones of spring
*other friendly pedestrians
*good, happy music to drown out the traffic
*a golden ball of sun finally rising over the horizon
*small airplanes taking off from our little airport
*bright green new grass
*coming home to an adorable little boy and a husband who loves me more than I probably deserve

Have a happy day!

3 comments:

  1. Wow,this post makes me want to start running in the mornings! well, if if was 30 weeks pregnant.:-)But i hope to get a bike by the time baby #2 comes so i can get some good exercise in. You are always such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You almost made me cry! That was beautiful. I have been wanting to run outside in the AM too but it's always windy here, not rainy. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally know what you mean! I have been on the treadmill since November, and last Monday was the first day that I ran outside, and I LOVED it! I was really starting to dread the morning jog, but now that I can do it outside, I actually look forward to it. Also, congrats on your success with "operation no sweets." Maybe someday I'll have enough will power to do that :)

    ReplyDelete