Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Second Time Around

I've debated blogging about this for awhile now, but have finally decided to go ahead and share a little. Some of you have probably been wondering if we plan to have more kids. We had hoped getting pregnant would be easier for us the 2nd time around, but that has not been the case. I don't share this to gross anyone out (don't worry, I won't post details) or to elicit pity. I'm sharing for two reasons. One, it always makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one dealing with fertility issues. I hope that someone else dealing with the same kind of thing will gain some comfort from knowing they're not alone. And two, I have found some measure of comfort myself in telling others a little about our situation. It just helps to have friends and family who know what's going on and who can support you.

I began talking to my Ob-gyn about options after being off birth control for a year and a half. She put me on Clomid (a medication that stimulates the body to produce hormones needed for ovulation) for 5 months, but it doesn't appear to be working for me. We are now working with a fertility specialist. I've undergone a few super fun exams and will be starting a hormone injection therapy in January. I'm really NOT looking forward to giving myself injections twice a day for a couple of weeks.

Nothing to do with all of these doctor's appointments is fun and it can be very emotionally draining. However, I can say that so far it's been much easier emotionally. Already having Spencer makes a huge difference. We really want more kids, but will be ok if that doesn't happen. Also, my faith in my Heavenly Father's plan for me has grown so much since before we had Spencer. Looking back, I can see His hand in nearly everything, good and bad, that we went through. I'm so happy with the way my life is right now and I feel so blessed to be a mother. Occasionally I have hard days, but mostly I'm doing really well.

Ok, enough of the heavy. Here's what we did for FHE last week (sorry for the less-than-mediocre pictures. I'm not loving my new camera.) :









Isn't Christmas time the best?!

8 comments:

  1. I know a lot of people who are going through fertility problems- I am actually surprised to know how many people struggle with this. I'll be praying for you!! You are an AWESOME Mommy, and whether you have one kid or 13 kids, nobody can take that away from you!!!

    (just so you know, I think 13 kids would be way too many, but to each his own:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that you have to deal with all that. It doesn't sound fun at all. But I truly have always admired you...when we were kids and even more so now that we are adults with grown up things to deal with. Its ok to have hard times. We are human. Spencer is precious! I hope the best for you and your family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you guys the best. Good luck with the treatments. Spencer is a doll, btw--I'm sure he's loving all the Christmas activities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a person that has struggled with not being able to get pregnant, I can say that it is good to know that I am not alone. There are other people out there that understand the hardships of infertility. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing that, Kristen. You know you guys are always in my prayers. I love your family and am so glad your a part of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your tree is very cute in real life (: I know everything will turn out how its supposed to....and I am here to help you with whatever you need (: If the hormone shots make you feel sick or tired or whatever I would love to have spencer over....he's just cutest thing that ever was (except for anna of course).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I hope things go well with the fertility treatments. Are these the kind that increase your chances of conceiving multiples? Maybe you will have triplets! :) Spencer looks like he is having a blast decorating! You are such a great mommy!
    (oh, and yes I did know about Ben and Katie's house - saw the FB post. Very exciting!! I talked to her via email but I'm not sure when they are actually moving in/out).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me know what I can do to help. I don't think I would be any good at giving shots, but I can babysit for any appointments you have.

    ReplyDelete