Monday, March 7, 2011

"P" is for Preschool

Spencer and I have been having so much fun with preschool lately. I think it is both of our favorite time of the day (bedtime is a pretty close second though!). Here are a few of our activities during the last week.

This one was a "color match." We put squares of different colors of felt around his room, and Spencer had to find toys that matched each color. He has known his colors for a long time, so it was super easy but he still loved it.




Spencer has to get creative to have his own camera now that I don't let him touch mine anymore. This time his tool belt along with a "chk" sound effect took some great shots.




I pulled out my cheap water colors for the first time one day. I had tried to get him to paint once before, but we didn't wind up doing it because Spencer refused to change out of his nice, new shirt into an old one. For some reason, he was willing to change today and had a great time. We stayed home most of the day today because of a bad cough so we painted again. This time he discovered that the water changes color and thought it was pretty awesome. He kept asking to drink it.




This isn't preschool, but it's educational so I thought I'd include it. Spencer gets to have a short computer time after his "nap" time everyday. I used to sit and do it with him, but his mouse handling skills are as good as mine now, so I find some other project to do nearby while he plays. His current favorite is the Sesame Street site.




Spencer surprised me last weekend with how fast he caught on when I quickly showed him how to sound out a short word. I've only ever taught kids with disabilities to read so I'm kind of shocked at how easily it is coming for Spencer. It's pretty exciting for me! He loves sounding out the words on these flash cards (thanks Nicole - I promise that I will return this game to you!) and looking for words that he can sound out in books. I showed him this little video tonight and he was so proud of himself.






Sorry if this post sounds too braggy, but I am proud of him. Spencer has always been interested in stories and letters so this comes easily to him. There are plenty of other things that don't come easily - writing, catching a ball, and riding his tricycle to name a few.

5 comments:

  1. Holy cow! That is awesome. I can't believe he can read already! You should be proud. That is sure cute about the "camera" too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is such a cutie! and a smart cutie too! What a cute post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post does NOT sound braggy. You have a great, smart kid!! You have great ideas too. I'll have to steal some of them I think. Jonas also loves the Sesame Street site. He loves Starfall (it's really weird) and the Fisher-Price learning games too. We have to keep our computer shut down at all times or he will bug us 24/7 to play. If it's shut down, I just say, "The computer is off right now." He says, "It's bwoken!" and leaves me alone (usually).

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much fun. I am happy you are getting good use from the starfall flash cards. We won't need them again for a little while, so no worries about getting them back to me. I'm glad they are getting good use. I hope all is well in Oregon. We need to get together when we get back.

    ReplyDelete