Sunday, February 9, 2014

Snow Days!

Snow is such a rarity in the Portland area that we western Oregonians are pretty wimpy about it - especially when we get nine inches in two days!  It's been five years since we've had this much snow.  We haven't had more than a skiff the last few years, so this was really exciting.

The school actually cancelled Spencer's afternoon kindergarten class on Thursday morning before it even started snowing.  (The rest of the school kids got released early that day.)  Alan's office also let them out early so their employees wouldn't have to drive in super terrible conditions.  It took Alan twice as long as normal to get home, but it wasn't too bad.  

These two headed out to play in the evening right when I had to go to work. :(



Alan's office closed down completely on Friday, so I got Alan to install the pot rack I got several weeks ago.  (I love it!)



Spencer built a time machine while Alan was working.  He's really into the Magic Tree House books right now. 



Spencer was only one-year-old the last time we had any snow to speak of so this was his first experience really playing in the snow.  He LOVED it!  Thank heavens for the neighbors who gave us some snow pants they had out-grown and for Aunt Danielle for the snow gloves we somehow inherited.  He was only lacking snow boots, but his rain boots seemed to do ok.





My toes froze in my rain boots!


Trampolines in the snow are pretty awesome.




We had nine inches by Saturday morning.  Thankfully we live within walking distance of Safeway and a Redbox. :) 



We had a fun "Olympics Party" (thanks to Family Fun magazine) in between trips to play outside.  It didn't really have much to do with the Olympics, but it was still fun.

Tumbling Tower: 



Skee ball:

Javelin Blow:




"Look Mom!  I'm making fog on the widow!"


Church was even cancelled today because the parking lot was so full of snow and ice, so we had "Home Church" instead.  Alan and Spencer both told us about a scripture and I taught a primary lesson on families.  The students had to draw pictures of their families.  I missed going to real Church, but this was better than nothing.


We'll see if school is cancelled again tomorrow.  The roads are still pretty icy and Spencer has a cough now, so we may get one more snow day.  I like snow storms once a year.  The family time and delicious cinnamon rolls I made were great!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, 9 inches! It looks like so much fun! I think we got the same storm but we only got 4 inches and then it turned to pouring rain. Boo! You are so creative and so is Spencer with that time machine. Tyler likes those books too (I can't believe spencer is already reading those! That is awesome!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! We haven't even had that much snow at once yet this winter- that's a lot of snow! I'm glad Spencer had fun in it!

    ReplyDelete