Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Last Day of Kindergarten


June 10th was Spencer's last day of kindergarten.  He was happy because of all the fun activities they did in class the last week or so and because we were leaving on our trip right after he got home from school, but in truth I think he's going to miss school a lot over the summer.  I know I've said this multiple times this year, but Spencer has LOVED kindergarten.  He couldn't get enough of just being around other kids and made a lot of nice, little friends this year.  Most of the academics were too easy for him, but thankfully his teacher gave him individual instruction in reading so he could really be challenged.

When Mrs. Evonuk asked Spencer what accomplishment he was most proud of during kindergarten, he said it was tying his shoes.  He only learned how to do it a couple of weeks ago.  I had been trying to motivate him to work on it for awhile without success, but when he found out that kids who could demonstrate shoe tying in school got to join "Pete the Cat's Shoe Tying Club," he worked hard and picked it up almost overnight.

I'm glad he had such a positive start to his education.  A month or so ago, Spencer told me that he wished he could go to school all year round.  Hopefully that attitude holds as the work gets a little harder in first grade!

No comments:

Post a Comment