A friend told me about the Portland Nursery's Apple Festival a few of weeks ago. We had a free afternoon so we headed over to check it out. My hands were too full to take a picture of the tasting line, but there were 60 varieties to taste! We thought most of them were gross. Braeburns are still my favorites. Spencer likes Galas and I think Alan likes Fujis. We're not trendy. :) Spencer didn't want to paint a pumpkin or color a picture, but he liked the scavenger hunt that led us all around the nursery.
Ahhhhh! Sorry for the out of focus!
Darwin and Debbie's Golden Delicious tree went crazy this year, much to my delight! They gave us a ton of apples. I had already order a bunch of others too, so we've been swimming in apples. Mason grabbed this small one while playing in the garage and had a great time munching on it.
Alan was really sweet to help me with the apple sauce this year right in the middle of his super busy race season. We canned about 50 quarts and have lots of apples left over for drying. They are starting to get soft now so I think I'm going to start making fruit leather. I'm not sick of them yet, but I think everyone else is!



Aw...how fun! I love apples and the PNW has such good varieties. I am a honey crisp person. So it looks like I am the odd one out. :)
ReplyDelete